Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2009

SPEAK, O MUSE

Last week, http://www.nytimes.com/ invited readers to submit original verse about the economic downturn. The sampling published in this last weekend's "Week in Review" demonstrates that even economic hardship can release a wonderful creativity, along with a dry sense of humor.

My favorite, penned by Gregoire Vion of Santa Cruz, California:


It's 2009 and still they show women
with long, open legs on high heels
next to the car they want me to buy.
I have never known such a dream-girl.
No surprise here, as I have never owned
the right wheels, even though I am sure
I would enjoy it all very much for a while.
My own car is more likely to be seen
above an oily mechanic, and
my woman, she wears socks in bed
sometimes two pairs in winter.

No comments: